Disaster Management Department
T. A. Division Building, Near Gol Chakkar, Dhurwa,
Precautions to be taken during and after the Chemical (Industrial) Accidents
- Do not panic, evacuate calmly and quickly perpendicular to wind direction through the designated escape route
- Keep a wet handkerchief or piece of cloth/ sari on face during evacuation
- Keep the sick, elderly, weak, handicapped and other people who are unable to evacuate inside house and close all the doors and windows tightly.
- Do not consume the uncovered food/ water etc open to the air, drink only from bottle
- Change into fresh clothing after reaching safe place/ shelter, and wish hands properly
- Inform Fire & Emergency Services, Police and medical services from safe location by calling 101, 100 and 108 respectively.
- Listen to PA (Public Addressal) System of the plant/ factory, local radio/ TV channels for advice from district administration/fire/health/police and other concerned authorities
- Provide correct and accurate information to government official.
- Inform others on occurrence of event at public gathering places (like school, shopping centre, theatre etc.).
- Don’t pay attention to the rumours and don’t spread rumours.
General Precautions During Normal Time
- Do not smoke, lit fire or spark in the identified hazardous area
- Sensitize the community living near the industrial units and they should be more vigilant about the nature of industrial units and associated risks.
- Keep the contact numbers of nearest hazardous industry, fire station, police station, control room, health services and district control room, for emergency use.
- Avoid housing near the industries producing or processing the hazardous chemicals, if possible.
- Participate in all the capacity building programmes organized by the government/ voluntary organizations / industrial units.
- Take part in preparing disaster management plan for the community and identify safe shelter along with safe and easy access routes.
- Prepare a family disaster management plan and explain it to all the family members.
- Make the family/ neighbours aware of the basic characteristics of various poisonous/ hazardous chemicals and the first aid required to treat them.
- Adequate number of personal protective equipments needs to be made available, to deal with emergency situation.
- Prepare an emergency kit of items and essentials in the house, including medicines, documents and valuables.